Visualizing (online reflection #3)
My class just finished reading the novel Lord of the Flies (1954) by William
Golding. As a proverbial cherry on top for the unit, my MT (Mentor Teacher) and
I decided to show them the film adaptation. You know, the black and white
arthouse flick from the 60s? Yeah, that one. Anyways, we decided to show them
the film because we both felt that the students had a somewhat hard time
engaging with the text. Retrospectively, we felt there was a missing sense that the students were being
deprived of: we realized that students had a hard time connecting to Golding’s
images. Wanting to adhere to notions of dual-coding (that is delivering information
in visual and verbal formats) we decided to allow real images (i.e. the film)
to help build their understanding of the novel, the setting, the characters,
etc. Reading through a pedagogical text, I was surprised to see this notion
supported: “[films, video, etc.] serve as parallel texts that lay thematic
content alongside the writer’s ideas in print” (Bomer 250). In speaking of my
students, they fully enrich the validity of this quote. As we watched the film,
one of my students pointed out something so small, yet so thematically
resonate. My student, who every day comes in late—wearing his massive
grin—said: “they’re so small. So innocent. It’s weird to see them acting this
way.” I nodded at him, thinking carefully of my next words.
Interesting
observation, [name omitted]. Now, how does seeing this film help you solidly
your take on the theme of this novel?
I waited for him to answer, but I knew
what he was going to say. And believe me, there wasn't anything wrong with that.
For him. For me. It was a lightbulb moment. He gave me another grin, and
extrapolated on the loss of innocence. The images—the film—he was seeing, generated
another dimension of comprehension. Like Bomer surmises, film is an extension
that further develops meaning (250). With this sense of meaning, film takes us
on a journey. A journey that involves intertextuality.
What
is Intertextuality?
Intertextuality, according to Wiki, refers to
the shaping of one text’s meaning by another text. Noting the word “text” in
the last sentence, these texts don’t have to adhere to orthographical
presentations. These so-called texts can be non-print: just like film. The
beauty of intertextuality in film is that it doesn’t just back up textual
foundations, but, the visuals can generate new constructs, discoveries, and
analysis that offer a new perspective on a text.
I remember watching The Artist (2011) in my senior year
English class. A seemingly fun movie on the surface, I didn’t necessarily
understand at the time why we were watching this film with our whole-class
reading of Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man
(1952). Although, I’ll never forget a feeling I had while watching that movie.
Sitting there, watching the dejected artist voyeur around his town like a
ghost, I remember constructing an insight about the nameless protagonist in the
novel (which sadly, I can’t remember, but
trust me, I know it got me that A on my paper). Essentially, the visuals of
the film allowed me to expand on my literary analysis. With this notion, I want
to allow film and other new literacies to do the same for my students. I want
to differentiate learning, and at the same time, enrich comprehension on both
domains of the visual and verbal educational spectrum.
Plus, films allow us to catch up on grading. J
References:
Bomer,
R. (2011). Building Adolescent Literacy
in Today’s English Classrooms. Heinemann: Portsmouth,
NH
Ellison,
Ralph. Invisible Man. A Novel. 1952.
Golding,
William. Lord of the Flies. A Novel.
New York: Perigee, 1954
The Artist. Michel Hazanavicius.
Jean Dujardin. Warner Bros. 2011. Film.
Wikipedia
contributors. "Intertextuality." Wikipedia, The Free
Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, the Free
Encyclopedia, 31 Oct. 2017. Web. 16 Nov. 2017.
Ashton-
ReplyDeleteI did not realize that Lord of the Flies had a film! That would have made it much more interesting when I had to read it in high school. I completely agree that intertextuality is very important to students these days- I feel like they are much more visual than we were. Even something as simple as asking students to create a graphic novel adaptation of a novel or short story will have them noticing the smallest details and expounding on them in great ways.
My CORE 4 unit that I am planning has a movie for the book and I can't wait to get to that point and show my students. I wonder how well it would work to chunk the movie with the novel and have them watch and read the same pieces together to create a bigger sense of understanding?
-Bailey
Love this insightful post—the ending made me laugh!
ReplyDeleteI just have to say thank you for citing Wikipedia; it gets such a bad rap, but really it’s one of the most reliable, current sources out there. At the NCTE Convention, one of the technology and digital literacy presenters (Troy Hicks—author of several books) sang the praises of Wikipedia and told English teachers to stop telling students not use it—at least as a starting point for research. Check out his website (and all of the sources he shared in his presentation) here: https://hickstro.org/2017/11/26/creating-mindful-readers-and-writers/
Ashton,
ReplyDeleteI personally have never read or seen Lord of the Flies (I know, not good as an English teacher) but I love that you and your MT chose to show the movie so students could understand the text better. Sometimes it helps to visualize the text to understand it better.
I like that you brought in your own experience of watching The Artist into your post. I like trying to connect past student experiences to help myself grow as a teacher. I cannot wait to see what more you do with intertextuality during Core 4