The Tiger (online reflection #5)

I wrote this poem in bed the morning before my second lesson of my unit. The first lesson went fine (actually, pretty good), but those perennial spirits of anxiety and low self-esteem creeped into my head; I found myself falling into the jaws of some dark foe. This poem is a response to that feeling. The metaphor of the tiger not only extends to our teaching lives, but also our day-to-day interactions.
Let us beware those creatures that stalk in the brush. 
Let us hold onto our roar.

The Tiger
By Ashton Pacholski

Class,
you are dismissed.

You walk out the door, looking up
to see the darkness surrounding you.
You tread lightly to your car
aware of the icy path in front of you.
At home, you throw the backpack down
anxious to pick it back up.

At your desk, you smile
briefly
thinking
of your coronation:
The black and yellow crown,
the pendulous tassel,
the adulation of peers.
In bed, you hide beneath
false security, blankets of tears.

You await the tranquility
of eight, seven, six, five, four,
hours before it begins again.
Gazing at the white, clinical ceiling
you see a movement in the periphery.

You take a peek, thinking of childhood
and see The Tiger. Its fangs red
like roses, white
death becomes its form.

Paralysis seeps into your veins
rendering you like the gazelle,
carrion.
And keep calm
you say, to subside the feeling,
but claws impress upon your bed,
each movement causing a wave,
a shift
to that final resting place.

Dreaming, lucidity takes reign
and you find yourself in your kingdom
moving, managing, and molding.
You see your subjects sitting by your side,
respecting the wisdom you impart.
Some challenges arise, but you
are capable.
You roar.

You awake.

The Tiger looks into you,
waiting for your final breath.
You look back, conquering white death.
Feeling the strength,
feeling your voice,
you look back, and command the request.

Tiger,
you are dismissed.

You get out of bed, looking up
to see the light in your windows.
You tread lightly to your car
noting the beautiful dew on grass.
At school, you place your backpack down
ready to face anything.


Everything.  

Comments

  1. Hold onto our roar, indeed! Thank you for this vivid and moving poem that encourages us to face our fears, to acknowledge them, to sit with them, and then to dismiss them, "ready to face anything. / Everything." Let us all heed your rallying cry, Ashton. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOAH! What a piece! Before I begin, I will say that I am going to thoroughly miss your compositions! To think, we have been on this amazing journey as a class, but after May....well...we will separate and start a new chapter of our lives. Bittersweet but necessary, I know. I will just miss it.

    Throughout the entire read, I found myself nodding in relation to this beautifully written poem. This resonates with how I have been feeling lately, especially in terms of graduating. I am terrified, but also excited. All of us should roar in the face of our Tiger, whatever that may be! I agree with Professor Cramer in that your writing speaks of facing fears by acknowledging them, sitting beside the situation, and dealing with them. Reading this was also a friendly reminder that we got this! We are going to handle some business in the world of education, Ashton! Here's to our roars; which we grasp onto with the strength of ten tigers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment