Closing up shop...for now (online reflection #6)
PROLOGUE
The
time is here. My project is done. All those hours working at the
workbench...fulfilled. I can put those tools away...at least for now. There’s
another project coming up, a bigger one, but let’s take a moment to reflect on
this one: the one you will soon take on. No need to fret though, I can see you
are a hard worker. I mean, by reading this, you’ve already won the battle
mentally. You’ve decided this is what you are going to do. And trust me, you will do it. You will look on your project just like I am and smile, lips expanding,
teeth showing.
Now, before I go, it’s time to
impart some pedagogical wisdom. This list will help you as you venture on with
your project.
BEING EFFECTIVE ON THE PROJECT
1. Reflect on who you are. As a pre-service teacher, you are going to
encounter varying degrees of educational styles and philosophies. By being
authentic with who you are, make sure you abide by what you find authentic to
your style of teaching. Don’t let this point sway you from experimentation
however. In fact, experimenting is vital in cultivating your style. Although,
take the time to evaluate who you are, what works, and how you wish to teach.
At this point, I know you might not know how you wish to teach, but trust me,
you have an inclination. Reflect on your teaching, your MT’s teaching, and the
teachers around you. Reflect on who you are, and how you wish to carry out your
classroom presence.
2. Utilize your whole workbench. You are going to be delving into an
authentic environment where every resource available will help you be an
effective teacher. From manipulatives on classroom walls, to unit plans saved
on your MT’s computer, resources will be your best friend when you finish this
project. Also, keep in mind your MT during this time. They will not only help
you develop your master blue-print, but, they will foster your progress, guiding
your hammer to the nail every time.
3. Stay confident/motivated.
You know what you are doing. You are a teacher. Don’t let the title of
pre-service teacher get you down. Wash any potential stigmas away and rise
above. You have all the right tools. You know what you are doing, even when you
think you don’t.
4. Respect the project. You are being invited into a school that is
going to give you everything it quite possibly can: a place that is going to
set you up for your next big project. It is important to stay respectful to
everybody on the job. Don’t feed into the proverbial, tempting serpent of
gossip. Stay focused on the project.
5. Know when to put the tools away for a bit. The project is no easy
task. I call them “projects” because they go through varying levels of
completion, some harder and some easier. With that in mind, it is important to
take time for yourself. Put those tools away at times and clear your mind. Stay
active though. Don’t allow thoughts of complacency to infiltrate your mind.
Don’t get lost in the time away from your project: remember it is still there.
However, know when to distance yourself for the sake of family, friends, a good
book, or that new show on CBS.
6. Remind yourself. I am here. I am a teacher.
A RETROSPECT
As
I look back on my experience as a pre-service teacher, I would say the biggest
thing I would have done differently is take more chances. To be honest, you
will find yourself playing it safe many times during your teaching. Whether
this be in finding a safe lesson planning rhythm or not taking the extra time
for other considerations, playing it safe will hinder your pedagogical growth.
It wasn’t until I finally realized that I wasn’t planning my lessons for
myself, but instead, for my students
that the cathartic switch flicked on in my brain and I became more aware of
differentiating what I was doing for their benefit. If anything, get to know
your students and their learning styles. It’s the most valuable thing you can
ever do as a teacher.
As for the program at WSU, the
biggest asset you will ever come across as a prospective teacher is Dr. Katie
Cramer. Not only is she a beacon of hope for education, but, she will keep your
passion for educating alive. From being under her guidance, she has given me the
skills and tools to be an effective, critical, reflective, genial, and
compassionate teacher. I owe a big thanks to her, just like you will, when you
get to the end of your project. Thank you, Dr. Cramer. Remember those words: Thank you, Dr. Cramer. I would start
practicing them now.
In terms of changes to the program,
I don’t have any. Although, I will make pertinent insights for your success in
this program:
1. Get to know your classmates.
2. Respect your classmates.
The people I’ve met on this journey
to completion will forever hold a special place to me. The people in your collective will do the
same. Remember, teaching is all about building positive learning communities.
Communities ripe with empathy, love, and respect. Abide by these insights and
your experience will be amazing.
EPILOGUE
Wow, I’m here. I’ve packed my last
tool up and it’s time to close shop. At least for now. I’m moving on to the
bigger project. I’m a little nervous, but I’m ready. Just like you are now.
You are ready.
You are a teacher.
Warm
Regards,
Ashton
Pacholski
This should be a must-read for all future teachers! Very well written, Ashton. Every aspect of your piece is of the upmost importance! Utilizing your work bench definitely resonates with me the most, and it is a necessity that future teachers understand this part of being an effective teacher. Walking into the education program, let alone Core 4, we should become sponges…soaking up everything in our path. Having a good rapport with your MT is pivotal from the get-go! They guide us. They encourage us. They will help assist in molding us- if we let them. They have a plethora of knowledge and experience in something we are striving to become. Some of the tools in our bench were handed down by them. So now that our we’ve packed up our tools, let’s go be a part of building an empire ;)
ReplyDelete